Today a friend posted on facebook that her husband picked out their Christmas tree and it was not pretty...
It brought back a memory that I had almost forgot. A few years ago, like 6 or 7, we went in the foothills by Greenwich to get our Christmas tree. The snow was deep that year, so we couldn't go to far. For some reason I didn't get out of the truck, must have been the snow. Will ventured out by himself and came back with a tree.
Things must look smaller on the mountain...
We got the tree home. It took us a good half hour to get it through the door. We literally had to FORCE it through our door. I am sure that if I checked there would be scratches in the frame around the door. It took me 2 weeks just to clean the needles up around the door. They kept coming out of nowhere.
After a day or two the off centered tree fell over. Then again, then on Ashley, then on me. Ashley would have only been 7 or 19 months old (can't remember what year it was). Will's gift that year was a nice metal tool box about 4 1/2 feet tall. In order to save the children and myself from being traumatized, I went out to the hay stack and grabbed a few twine strings. That's right, the string that holds the hay bales together. I used those lovely strings to secure the tree to the tool box. That is how our tree stood for the remainder of the season.
The first thing that went down after the holidays was that dumb tree.
And yes, we had to FORCE it out of our door. And again, I spent two weeks cleaning up pine needles.
2 comments:
o what a great story!
i love the farmer rig story - so great! you are a woman that uses what she can around her to make things work. that is why you are amazing!
Post a Comment